Hike Leader Training
Do you want to lead your own group hikes?
When GVTA Hike Leader training is available we will post information about it on this page.
Please check Hike Ontario for information about their Certified Hike Leader Course and their Course Calendar for dates and locations.
GVTA Hike Leader Certification Requirements
- Be a member in good standing with the Grand Valley Trail Association
- Attend a Hike Leader Training workshop by the GVTA or Hike Ontario to learn the standards of hike leadership
- Apprentice on 3 already scheduled hikes by a certified hike leader
- Be certified in Basic First Aid and CPR by either the Red Cross or St. John’s Ambulance
- Be able to plan, publish and lead a hike for the GVTA with a certified hike leader as end person/sweep.
- Lead at least 3 hikes per year to maintain certification
- Practice the Trail Users’ Code
- Be organized and able to complete administrative work (Waiver of Liability and Assumption of Risk, Incident Report)
Working Toward Hike Leader Certification
A GVTA Board of Directors Goal
The GVTA supports the concept of setting standards of hike leading. In addition, liability issues have led insurance companies to recommend that hiking associations across Ontario provide certification for hike leaders. The GVTA has taken the initiative, as have a growing number of hiking groups, by offering hike leader training.
Have you completed the Hike Leader Certification requirements recently? CONGRATULATIONS!
In order to obtain your complimentary "Hike Leader Chevron", please email the Hike Coordinator using this link Request for Hike Leader Chevron filling out the information about the course you completed.